[Talk-us] US Interstate exit junction exit_to tag

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 23:26:05 BST 2011

On 4/6/2011 5:59 PM, Alan Mintz wrote:
> At 2011-03-28 12:40, Ian Dees wrote:
>> With that in mind I think it's important that the exit_to tag only
>> include verbage on the sign (and not stuff we make up).
>
> IMO, not all the verbage on the sign. I've been tagging name as the name
> of the exit according to the relevant authority (e.g. CalTrans in CA). I
> accept that people now want to change this to use exit_to instead of
> name. However, some exit signs also have destination information, like
> the name of the city or local tourist attraction. This secondary
> information I've been putting in a towards tag. I would also like to
> separate the name into a root and a directional component. e.g.

[snip]
This seems overly complex. The reason for including the text is so
routers can tell the driver to take the exit marked [foo]. What benefit
is there in separating street names/route numbers from other destinations?

> NE2 seems to have already jumped ahead with
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/7787398 - "change name to
> exit_to and speed limits to mph".
There seems to be clear consensus in this thread, so I decided to make
the change (for one- and two-digit Interstates) along with changing
obvious km/h to mph issues.

 > Perhaps he can comment on exactly what
> he did so I know what I have left to do in SoCal, where I've been the
> primary tagger of on/offramps.

All I've done was change name to exit_to, except in about eight cases
where both tags were present. There was only one of these in California,
on northbound I-5 in Anaheim, where one of the tags was the street name
and the other was Anaheim; I changed it to exit_to=[street name]; Anaheim.

Most of the other (non-California) cases of both fields being present
were where someone had erroneously assumed exit_to was for routes with a
'to' on the sign.

> How do we ask the renderers to recognize the new schema?

Why would we want the default rendering to display exit_to? The whole
point of the change was so the renderer will know whether the
interchange has a name to display.