[Talk-us] updated critical address file for US - 25 April 2011

Mon Apr 25 23:45:04 BST 2011

At 2011-04-25 14:02, deb t wrote:
>MapQuest is providing critical address files on an ongoing basis to
>the OSM community that contain user-provided latitude and longitude
>locations across the world. Our users have provided these exact
>locations to us so that they could be mapped correctly on our MapQuest
>maps. More information can be found on our wiki page:
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapQuest/Critical_Addresses .  All
>update files are in addition to the main country file and any other
>update file posted.
>
>Today, we added one new update file for the US:
>US:
>http://www.mqdemo.com/antfarm/criticaladdressfile/critical_address_file-US_update-25April2011.csv

Please don't import these without verifying against your own local
knowledge or other sources. Experience is that they are poorly
geo-referenced and/or have other problems. For example, in this file, the
only one in my area is wrong:

13095 Jamboree Road,US,CA,Tustin,92782,33747885,-117767370 is actually
about 1.6 *miles* southwest of that point.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with MapQuest's process that
causes users to misplace things so much?