[Talk-us] NHD data extract

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Apr 26 14:27:23 BST 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Ben Supnik <bsupnik at xsquawkbox.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Y'all,
>>
>> The USGS was kind enough to send me the latest shapefile extract for the
>> NHD yesterday.  So my question is: is there some way I can process and
>> repost this data that would make it more suitable for importers?
>
> There already is a process on the NHD wiki page.

Also, there are current and archived discussions of imports, etc. on
the imports@ list.  Do have a look there for some great background.

How about this as an alternative or side project?  Why not load the
complete NHD in a stand-alone rendering system, and render it as a
transparent overly tile set?  That would then be available for:
- testing new NHD rendering styles
- comparing NHD to existing rendering
- as a helper layer for mappers to trace
- etc.