[Talk-us] Safe Routes to School Mapping Toolkit concept

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 02:52:16 BST 2011

This will require objective criteria for grading a route. Does SRTS
ignore complications, such as badly-designed bike lanes and especially
sidepaths decreasing safety, and kids choosing the sidewalk over even
well-designed bike lanes? How is safety of crossing a street determined?
How about safety of walking in the street?

One thing that might be useful in OSM would be marking crosswalks (or
intersections?) where a crossing guard operates during school commuting
hours.

As a suburban example for discussion, I volunteer the local elementary
school:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.41182&lon=-81.49269&zoom=17&layers=M
Buena Vista Woods Boulevard has bike lanes, but kids generally ride on
the sidewalk. There is a crossing guard at the west end of BVW, helping
kids cross Apopka Vineland Road into the gated community. The path to
the east (through the park) is open during school hours, and allows kids
from the two subdivisions to the northeast to reach the school (I don't
know if anyone from Sand Lake Point, the northern one of the two, does,
but I often see kids and parents riding on the sidewalks of Sand Lake
Cove and onto the path).