[Talk-us] amenity:fuel and fuel types for the US

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 15:25:31 BST 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 5:54 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
> On 8/18/11 6:30 AM, Peter Dobratz wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know how to translate the US octane measurements to the
>> European ones used (fuel:octane_91, fuel:octane_95, fuel:octane_98,
>> fuel:octane_100)?
>>

> rather than messing about, i'd suggest modifying the tagging system
> to let us enter the AKI numbers directly with clear labeling.

Yeah, I would just label them as it is signed. No one cares about
octane rating systems. They care about what it says in the car owner
manual and where they can get gas that matches that number. It is
implied that the numbers follow whatever rating system is prescribed
by law in the country the gas station is in. Since all cars sold
within a given country will follow the same rating system as all the
gas stations in that country, the rating systems are a non-issue.

So just tag it as fuel:octane_87, fuel:octane_89, etc. Not Sure about
the kerosene. fuel:kerosene=yes would seem logical but I'm not sure
what the non-taxable use has to do with things.

While we're on the topic of fuel types... I've been wondering about
diesel. The JOSM preset has 3 different diesel checkboxes. One is for
bio diesel which is fine. But is there any chemical difference between
"Diesel" and "Diesel for Heavy Goods Vehicles"? Or is this tag just
clarifying the physical characteristics of the pump? (enough space and
clearance for a big rig to maneuver to the pump) Or is this tag for
something else entirely?

Toby