[Talk-us] amenity:fuel and fuel types for the US

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Aug 18 15:59:18 BST 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:

> So just tag it as fuel:octane_87, fuel:octane_89, etc. Not Sure about
> the kerosene. fuel:kerosene=yes would seem logical but I'm not sure
> what the non-taxable use has to do with things.

I believe that this has to do with road-use taxes.  Part of the price
you pay for gasoline is actually a tax that goes into special road
construction and repair funds.  The kerosene for sale at the station
is probably for non-vehicular uses (generators and lamps perhaps) and
thus does not include the road-use tax.

> While we're on the topic of fuel types... I've been wondering about
> diesel. The JOSM preset has 3 different diesel checkboxes. One is for
> bio diesel which is fine. But is there any chemical difference between
> "Diesel" and "Diesel for Heavy Goods Vehicles"? Or is this tag just
> clarifying the physical characteristics of the pump? (enough space and
> clearance for a big rig to maneuver to the pump) Or is this tag for
> something else entirely?

Possibly, I know around here there are stations that sell diesel at
pumps side-by-side with the gasoline pumps - you'd never get a large
tractor-trailer in there to fuel up.  There are also a few stations
(aside from the large truck stops on the Interstate) that have
separate stations for tractor-trailers to fuel up.  They actually have
pumps on both sides of the vehicle that are connected to one payment
system so that tanks on both sides of the vehicle can be fueled
simultaneously.

--
Jeff Ollie