[Talk-us] NHD data conversion

Ben Supnik bsupnik at xsquawkbox.net
Fri Aug 19 13:49:24 BST 2011

Hi Ben,

I think the answer is: we're part way there.

I was able to get my work-flow for conversion working and did do a
complete conversion, which is uploaded here.

http://bsupnik.dev.openstreetmap.org/NHD/

So first: if anyone looks at these and finds things that aren't so good,
please let me know, I'll recut!  But if I remember, one of the issues
was that there was linework that was imported _only_ because it had an
NHD id - I'm using Ian's java tool to do the shapefile->osm conversion
and it doesn't have a way (that I know of) to say "if the only tag
present is X, just skip".  (Ian: if you have a patch or trick for this
please let me know.)  I don't have enough of a dev setup to work on
Ian's code, and I haven't had time to put my own pre or post processing
filter on the data.

Second: the consensus seemed to be that there wasn't a great way to get
this data _in_ to OSM.  Each HUC is complex enough that the upload risks
failing on the servers part way through if sent in its entirety.  I
spoke with RichardF a little bit about teaching Potlatch to use the data
as a vector layer, but I'm not sure where we are with that.

(RichardF: if you have a layer format or layer format + manifest HTML
file that you like/support, I will simply conform my bulk conversion to
your needs!)

So...you're welcome to work with the data as is...you may need to
artificially break up the HUC and work on it in parts (to keep the total
change set size down) and then individually push up finished work as you
verify it.

cheers
ben

Scenery Home Page: http://scenery.x-plane.com/