[Talk-us] Use of ref-tag on state highways

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Sat Aug 20 12:52:17 BST 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 6:04 AM, Henk Hoff <toffehoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> To my understanding our tagging-standard for State Highways is [STATE]
> [NUMBER]
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging#State_Highways

I agree that we should use the standard 2-letter state abbreviation
and then the number: "AK 7"

Also, for some reason in Massachusetts, most of the roads were
imported using "SR" instead of "MA".  I think I changed some near the
New Hampshire border to MA and then someone changed them back, but I
never followed up.

I've been using "NH" for New Hampshire state routes and at least that
seems to have stuck.  Currently, I'm more focused on adding buildings
and points of interest to the map, but at some point I was hoping to
formalize the conventions for numbered highways and then clean up the
major roads in New Hampshire and parts of Massachusetts.

Peter