[Talk-us] Use of ref-tag on state highways

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 15:32:20 BST 2011

The network tag and number only in ref is correct for the route
relation but I think the question was about the member ways where I
haven't seen this scheme used.

I use "KS XX" on ways. I think whatever we do, it should be consistent
across the US. I think "Hwy" is about the most ambiguous option there
is. And the state abbreviation scheme is consistent with US highways
that are tagged with "US XX"

I have noticed that Mapquest prefers to only display numbers in their
state highway shields and they are actively looking for state postal
codes and stripping them off. So apparently the convention of using
state postal codes is well enough established for them to base their
rendering rules on it.

Toby