[Talk-us] Use of ref-tag on state highways

Nathan Mills nathan at nwacg.net
Sat Aug 20 16:07:18 BST 2011

 Before I was too swamped with other stuff to do much OSM work, I was
 using "AR XX" and "OK XX". We've had this discussion before, though. My
 contention is and was  that the state prefix is necessary because there
 are cases of ways belonging to two different networks "in" (not
 physically, but logically) two different states.

 NE2's reasoning here is suspect, anyway. AHTD refers to highways using
 the bare number on their road conditions page. (except for interstates,
 which get an "I-" prefix)

 I'd go on a long rant about how annoying it is that certain people feel
 like they know better than locals how things should be tagged, but we've
 been down that road before and nothing good comes of it.