[Talk-us] Use of ref-tag on state highways

Val Kartchner val42k at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 17:01:00 BST 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 07:52 -0400, Peter Dobratz wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 6:04 AM, Henk Hoff <toffehoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > To my understanding our tagging-standard for State Highways is [STATE]
> > [NUMBER]
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging#State_Highways
>
> I agree that we should use the standard 2-letter state abbreviation
> and then the number: "AK 7"

Because of the international nature of this project, we need to include
the country as well.

We've had this discussion several times before.  It usually lasts a week
or two then dies out with no resolution.  Please, let's resolve it this
time.

What about another field for the network.  For instance "US:UT:SR" for
Utah State Routes then the "ref" tag will be just the number.  I'd like
to put it all into the "ref" field, but the renderers just don't parse
this field and render the whole string.

- Val -