[Talk-us] Use of ref-tag on state highways

Val Kartchner val42k at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 20:29:02 BST 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 14:56 -0400, Phil! Gold wrote:
> * Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> [2011-08-20 14:24 -0400]:
> > I agree with this, and will abide by any reasonable consistent convention.
>
> The wiki has long recommended using the two-letter state abbreviation, a
> space, and the number.  Is there any problem with continuing to use this
> approach?  (Aside from somehow not being able to differentiate between
> Delaware and Germany even though this is a spatial database.)

Because some states officially designate the road as "SR-26", for
instance.  There are also county roads, "CR-1963", for instance.  If we
eliminate the prefix then we lose information.  I haven't seen anywhere
in Utah where removing the prefix would cause ambiguity, but I haven't
been looking around the state for such instances.

- Val -