[Talk-us] Use of ref-tag on state highways

Henk Hoff toffehoff at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 14:56:11 BST 2011

Op 21 aug. 2011, om 15:21 heeft Alan Mintz het volgende geschreven:

> My understanding was that there are two options for California SR-60:
>
> 1) network=US:CA + ref=60
> 2) ref=CA 60

Reminds me: there are two ref-tags. One on the relation, one on the way. The suggestion of Alan would fit both: 1 being the standard for the relation, 2 being the standard for the way.

A suggestion:
- On relations we have a seperate network tag which contains US:[state]:[county]. Whereas state and county are only used if applicable. The ref-tag in the relation only contains the number.
- On the way for State Highways the [state] [number] is used. When the road is part of multiple routes, the main route is used. That could be:
** a higher classification prevails  (US over state)
** the continuous route prevails (if route x uses part of route y to get to it's next section, then route y is used).
** the number closed to 0 prevails