[Talk-us] Use of ref-tag on state highways

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 19:19:45 BST 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Alan Mintz
> <Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Shared routes use semi-colons, like any other multi-use object.
>>
>> ref="CA 60;I 215"
>>
>> or
>>
>> network="US:CA;US:I"
>> ref="60;215"
>
> Difficult to maintain for mappers and harder to consume for use.  Use
> simply tagged relations for each route.

OK... we're still talking about network tags on ways.

The network tag IS NOT USED ON WAYS.

Like...at all. There are 317 occurrences in the same data I used
before. (all ways with a ref tag) Out of those 317 uses a lot of them
are "rcn" and "nwn"  which have nothing to do with highways. So don't
use a network tag on ways. As Richard says, they go on relations and
on relations the network tag is pretty simple. No multiple values, no
complications.

Toby