[Talk-us] Use of ref-tag on state highways

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 22:43:09 BST 2011

Sent again; sorry to people who receive multiple copies due to moderation.

On 8/21/2011 4:34 PM, Ian Dees wrote:
> I really don't understand this logic. I have never run into a case where
> JOSM has broken a relation in a way that wasn't obvious to me. Obviously
> I don't "get around" as much as you, Nathan, but can you remind me of a
> specific case where a relation breaks over the course of normal editing?

The real problem is that there's no way to show the former state of a
relation, and I tend to fix errors whenever I find them. I know I've
recently fixed US 10 in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, mostly where it
overlaps with Interstates. If you're better than me at figuring out the
history, see: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/5247114

The most common problem I see is when someone splits a way to create a
bridge, and for whatever reason the newly-created ways aren't part of
the relation.