[Talk-us] One click quality printed maps (as an OSM advantage)

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Dec 5 20:48:11 GMT 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:27 AM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> Maposmatic - pretty one page map with street index.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Maposmatic
>
> Appears idle
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ImgAtlas
>
> Perhaps this one for multipage?
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hikingbook.pl
>
> Poster and mural-sized big maps (mind the tile usage policy)
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bigmap

I've tried a number of these options as well as Walking Papers as Brad
mentioned but (when they worked) they failed for what I needed because
they all used tiles downloaded from openstreetmap.org.  The tiles from
osm.org work well enough for on-screen usage but are far too low
resolution for print use.  They are also opaque which makes them hard
to combine with other data sources.

My personal use case would be generating custom topographic maps that
can be printed out to scale and used for orienteering.  I'd really
love to use OSM data and combine it with topographic data produced by
the state to create an updated map of my local Boy Scout camp.

--
Jeff Ollie