[Talk-us] as the license change approaches...

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sun Dec 18 18:20:05 GMT 2011

Richard Weait's post about Albuquerque got me thinking.

for those of us who have accepted the license change and intend to keep on
working, there are positive things we can be doing right now in
anticipation.
for the areas where we are focused we can do the following:

1) use the geofabrik inspector to see what map features in your area are
impacted (the JOSM history dialog has a nice feature for looking at license
acceptance, but it appears to be buggy. double check on a user's license
acceptance before contacting based on the JOSM dialog.)

2) start contacting mappers who have not yet accepted the new CTs and
inquire as to their intent (do not harass those who have explicitly
declined.
what's done is done.)

     a) be polite, and non confrontational. it's best to plan on avoiding an
         argument/discussion about the new terms, they're coming and that
         isn't going to change. most of us are quite tired of the
argument by
         now.

     b) if they are open minded/uncertain about the new terms, you can point
         out the extent of the disruption when they have a couple of
edits buried
         in the middle of an extensive edit history

     c) no matter what their response is, thank them for it and for
their past
         contributions.

3) start putting together a TODO list of things that are going to need to be
dealt with once you are fairly sure of who isn't going to respond or who has
clearly decided not to accept the new CTs.

richard