[Talk-us] Medians and reverts

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 19:45:36 GMT 2011

On Dec 22, 2011, at 10:53 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 04:11:09PM -0600, John F. Eldredge wrote:
>> Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is what's in dispute. Is the following a median or simply a lane
>>> separator? http://www.scvresources.com/highways/118_hov_lane.jpg
>>
>> Are the HOV restrictions in effect at all times, or only for part of
>> the day?  The HOV restrictions on inbound highways in Nashville, TN
>> are only in effect for certain morning hours on weekdays (inbound
>> rush hour), and those on outbound highways are only in effect for
>> certain late-afternoon hours on weekdays (evening rush hour).  The
>> rest of the time, the HOV lanes are treated as normal lanes.  If the
>> HOV lane restrictions are not 24/7, I would class those as lane
>> separators, not medians.  Also, if a vehicle with enough passengers
>> is allowed to move into/out of the HOV lanes at any point, I would
>> not classify the markings as a median, but only as a lane separator.
>
> In California, most are 24/7.  When they're not, they're either closed
> to all traffic and treated as dead space, or PSV-only outside HOV
> hours.  All traffic is prohibited from making lane changes in areas
> where the white-orange-orange lines are present, with the general
> access lanes functionally being the right shoulder for HOV traffic,
> and the HOV area treated as the left shoulder for general access
> traffic.  Every 1-3 miles where lane changes are permitted, lane
> changes in and out of the HOV area is permitted for traffic allowed in
> that lane, no other locations.  These restrictions are strictly
> enforced, as the difference in speed between the HOV lane and general
> access is frequently in excess of 60 MPH during peak traffic periods
> in sections where the HOV lane is isolated.

Not at all. California is large and isn't consistent across different counties. I know only a single place where it's like that in northern California. And this is a new and special testing area it's not only a normal HOV lane it's a pay per use at rush hours and free to use otherwise. Cost varies based on traffic. Not exactly a HOV lane where use is allowed for cars with a minimum of 2 or 3 passengers or fuel efficient cars.