[Talk-us] Parking lot not rendering

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 18:28:23 GMT 2011

On 2/12/2011 12:47 PM, Val Kartchner wrote:
> I'm having a problem with the Mapnik rendering of this area:
> "http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.176495&lon=-111.948208&zoom=18".
> In the retail area northwest of 48th Street and Harrison Blvd (UT-203) I
> have entered parking lots.  However, they are not rendering.  The
> commercial area just north of that is part of the same parking lot but
> it is being rendered.  What is wrong with the retail area?

It's because the parking lot crosses a landuse boundary. Mapnik, in my
experience, tries to find which of two objects is inside the other and
renders them with the smaller one on top. But if they cross results are
suboptimal.

Aerials indicate that the commercial parking lot is not connected to the
retail parking, so it should be a separate polygon, even putting aside
this complication.