[Talk-us] USGS National Hydrography Dataset

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 06:21:54 GMT 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Val Kartchner <val42k at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 08:57 -0500, Phil! Gold wrote:
>> (TopOSM also shows a lot of intermittent streams from the USGS National
>> Hydrography Dataset.)
>
> Can we get this USGS dataset loaded?  It would be more accurate than
> tracing from satellite images, and much quicker too.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NHD

It has already been imported in some areas. Check the "Basins and
per-basin sign-ups" section on the above page for details. There has
not been an effort to do a nation-wide import though. As I understand
it, the tools have been provided for local people to do it on their
own. I have been meaning to look at this for Kansas...

Toby