[Talk-us] Importing Virginia road centerlines

Mike N niceman at att.net
Mon Feb 21 17:01:30 GMT 2011

> I'm totally new to importing, so I first wanted to see if anyone else
> is interested in this project, though I am willing to take the time to
> learn the process myself. Is the process used for importing the
> Canadian database [1] the best method for doing this?

   The process for the Canadian database is best used only for adding
new roads that don't exist in the OSM database.  As part of the upload
process, plan on stitching them into existing roads, perhaps using JOSM.

   It would also be handy to be able to project the improved geometry
onto existing roads of the same name, while preserving attributes and
driveway / footpath / bridges that have already been added to the OSM
data.    That will preserve user's contributions and history.  This
would require some new, yet-to-be developed tool to work directly with
OSM data.  There is much interest in this because of the TIGER 2010 data
and Arkansas state data sets.   It is not certain when there will be
developer resources to develop such a tool.

   The limitation of Roadmatcher is that it works only with shapefiles,
thus OSM attributes are lost when exporting to shapefiles.