[Talk-us] Importing Virginia road centerlines

Peter Budny peterb at gatech.edu
Mon Feb 21 18:25:39 GMT 2011

Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Peter Budny <peterb at gatech.edu> wrote:
>> Josh, this sounds great!  Unfortunately, you're headed in to really new
>> territory.  As far as I can tell, OSM doesn't have any methods in place
>> for merging data in any meaningful sense, which sounds like what you
>> need to do.  (In other words, "Take X, Y and Z from this data, and Q and
>> P from this data, and put them together.")
>>
>> I can't help you much, but I wish you lots of luck.  I've had my share
>> of disagreements with people about how OSM should deal with imports and
>> automated edits, so I wanted you to know that there are people out here
>> who encourage this kind of work.
>
> Tell us what you really think, Pete! ;-)
>
> http://twitter.com/bigpeteb/status/39685277882646528
>
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2010-October/020738.html

Your point?

Back in October when I started working on my project, I almost got so
tired with people attacking me for trying to help in a way they
disagreed with, I nearly gave up the idea.  But then a couple of people
stepped up and asked why everyone was beating me up for trying to use my
skills and expertise to contribute.

I wanted to return the favor, and let Josh know that regardless of any
other vitriolic responses he may get about contributing data that wasn't
painstakingly generated by hand (in the finest tradition of pencils and
paper and abacuses, or whatever surface street mappers are using these
days), some people support this kind of work.
--
Peter Budny  \
Georgia Tech  \