[Talk-us] [Imports] Importing Virginia road centerlines

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 21 18:59:04 GMT 2011

Hi,

Ian Dees wrote:
> I think this is a great first step towards a "merging/importing
> toolkit". A shapefile reading and rendering plugin for JOSM would be
> extremely nice to have and was the original intention of my shp-to-osm code.

... as long as we make absolutely sure nobody can simply hit "load
shape" and then "upload to OSM". The thing I like about Potlatch is that
the mapper must (!) copy each element individually. This is of course
much more work than simply dumping a shape file into OSM, but I'm
convinced that such diligence shows in the result, and also increases
the attachment of the mapper to his work, leading to more involvement
with the project etc. (Of course that's still nothing against going out
there and surveying by yourself.)

If you drive along a road and say: "That name sounds familiar, I think I
have imported that" - then that may just have been an acceptable import.

Bye
Frederik