[Talk-us] Fwd: Re: Long-distance scenic roads

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Thu Feb 24 23:44:14 GMT 2011

These two are probably the best known of such roads, but there are others.
--In the 1920s, the Lincoln Highway was established across the United
States to promote auto travel (it seems to have succeeded). Portions
were financed by oil companies. The route was refined several times
over the years, but it is still marked in many places. The route
follows everything from interstates to dirt roads (at a few places
out west). It even has a Web site.
--There's also the beautiful George Washington Parkway, which leads
from Washington, D.C., to Mount Vernon. It also was constructed like
the Blue Ridge and is lined with park land. Its route changes from
interstate to parkway to residential road at the end.
--Of course there's Route 66.
--What about historic rail routes? There's the Orient Express in
Europe, and, for example, the City of New Orleans (recently revived)
in the United States.

As for tags, shouldn't they be tagged for the actual way, no matter
what the route? Then, given that these are historically or scenically
important, is there some way to tag them with something like a
"historic or scenic route" tag?

Charlotte Wolter

>cv=HPeJdz9Dh37wsH6AO4tchJFh6NNWUx/LVR2ql1pkMIE= c=1 sm=0
>a=5vRaiVmFr28A:10 a=BLceEmwcHowA:10 a=wPDyFdB5xvgA:10
>a=xqWC_Br6kY4A:10 a=6ydbDpixB9c9jtIM301iOw==:17 a=pGLkceISAAAA:8
>a=Ktvh6Ry_MxqCV24WW_AA:9 a=tuBLbnf7XY3kMGiFUdcA:7
>a=v4PzN-ZFIKnWRMzHF4m6Zq0swAQA:4 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=MSl-tDqOz04A:10
>a=3z0OjQsHwcmtInjbYmAA:9 a=GXQ_qEaXNOQI2NX8fDUA:7
>a=vHKTSISMqtZsoerjOaiqEkthj1kA:4 a=595fbENkAAAA:8
>a=w4L8CiaNGqUigYjJ2EEA:9 a=fdQzLMz03tpqdFq0Xbvz22VBiYAA:4
>a=CjuIK1q_8ugA:10 a=BdHZsLrCs2gA:10 a=lAHEQFpRNVJGFGmHE9Im4w==:117
>Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:46:21 -0600
>From: Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com>
>To: Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>
>Cc: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools" <tagging at openstreetmap.org>,
>         OpenStreetMap talk-us list <talk-us at openstreetmap.org>
>Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Long-distance scenic roads
>         <mailto:talk-us-request at openstreetmap.org?subject=subscribe>
>
>They should be part of a route relation.
>
>On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Nathan Edgars II
><<mailto:neroute2 at gmail.com>neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>In the US there are two long federally-maintained roads, the Blue
>Ridge Parkway and Natchez Trace Parkway, that were built for the
>sole purpose of sightseeing. Since they are surrounded by a narrow
>strip of parkland, access is only allowed at certain points, so they
>are technically expressways (normally trunk in the US). On the other
>hand, they are not intended in any way for utilitarian travel, and
>functionally fit approximately as secondary or tertiary.
>
>Tagging is thus inconsistent. It looks like the BRP was recently all
>changed to secondary, but the NTP has portions of residential
>(obvious BS) and primary. I'm pretty sure I've also seen trunk and
>tertiary used in the past.
>
>Does anyone have an opinion on how these should be handled?

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
techlady at techlady.com

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that
would affect the first three freedoms.