[Talk-us] Minimum standards for motorways?

Dion Dock dion_dock at comcast.net
Sat Jan 1 17:00:01 GMT 2011

> Question: what do people think about minimum standards for tagging
> something highway=motorway? In other words, would it be reasonable to
> tag a highway as trunk rather than motorway because it has no
> shoulders or a low speed limit (40 mph)?

There are plenty of motorways in Portland OR that have no, or minimal, shoulders.  I think the defining trait of a motorway is there are no traffic lights.  I can think of a road that looks like an interstate highway even to the 55 mph speed limit but it has traffic lights.  That says "trunk" to me.

-Dion