[Talk-us] NY: replacing county borders

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Jan 4 01:42:33 GMT 2011

On 1/3/11 8:11 PM, Michal Migurski wrote:

> Sounds like a sane way forward to me. Are you using the new 2010 files that they're slowly releasing? Do you plan to keep all the FIPS info as you go?

i haven't yet seen 2010 boundary files of any sort yet. i'd certainly
prefer to use the, but have no idea what sort of timeline the census
bureau is working to.

i hadn't thought about retaining the FIPS data, but it seems like a very
reasonable thing to do, and now is the time to get it in there. is there
a preferred way of tagging the FIPS codes on a boundary relation? a
search for FIPS in the wiki doesn't produce anything relevant. if nothing
turns up, i'll just use a FIPS tag on the boundary relation with a value
of the state + county codes concatenated in the usual way.

richard