[Talk-us] Minimum standards for motorways?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jan 4 08:12:30 GMT 2011

On 01/03/2011 08:33 AM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo-PVOPTusIyP/srOwW+9ziJQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> The lower level is Alaskan Way, a surface street. Above it are two
>>> levels of Alaskan Way Viaduct, one in each direction. It's the second
>>> and third levels I'm talking about here.
>>
>> Given that ramps into and out of the viaduct hit at nearly-right angles
>> from out between buildings with no merging room, I'm not sure they
>> really qualify as what one would expect in motorway quality ramps.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeGUSMssl7k&t=0m15s
> There's not much merging room (no worse than on many Interstates), but
> it's nowhere near a right angle.

I'm familiar with the ramp, the tightness of the corner and the space in
which to merge is comparable to your standard corner-cuts on major
boulevards.  Unless we're actually going to suggest that 71st and
Memorial are both motorways...

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.060853&lon=-95.886224&zoom=18&layers=M