[Talk-us] NY: replacing county borders

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Jan 4 17:04:04 GMT 2011

On 1/3/11 8:42 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
> On 1/3/11 8:11 PM, Michal Migurski wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like a sane way forward to me. Are you using the new 2010
>> files that they're slowly releasing? Do you plan to keep all the FIPS
>> info as you go?
>>
> i haven't yet seen 2010 boundary files of any sort yet. i'd certainly
> prefer to use the, but have no idea what sort of timeline the census
> bureau is working to.
i looked a little further. i see tiger 2010 shp files for much (perhaps all)
of NY now, but the extracts of boundaries have not been updated for
any states. i would imagine they are going to finish all the shp files for
all the states before they look at the extracts of borders. the plan for
tiger (according to their web page) is to finish all the shp files by
February.

so i'm going to kill time by making this code more general, so that it can
handle all the boundary extracts that are likely to be wanted (states,
counties, incorporated places with legit boundaries) and put the code
in a state where it can potentially be given away.

i also, from looking at some of the shp files for Rensselaer County NY,
think that anyone interested in doing tiger 2010 imports/replacements
really needs to familiarize themselves thoroughly with the data, both
old and new before pulling the trigger on an import.

richard