[Talk-us] TIGER 2010 Imports

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Thu Jan 6 02:15:03 GMT 2011

>Some notes from my editing in southern California:
>
>In some places (UT comes to mind), people have begin using name:prefix to (correctly) remove directional prefixes and suffixes from the name tag (see >http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Directional_Prefix_%26_Suffix_Indication etc.).   I'm doing a little bit of this manually in CA, and will probably do some larger work on it soon. If we can agree on tagging, I think it would be nice to implement a complete breakout of prefix, suffix, type, etc., since the info is already there in the TIGER data.

   I think the proposal was well thought out and presented.  I can't wrap my mind around it for the simple cases around here that just use a directional prefix.   But if it just a matter of grabbing the info and putting it into the new tag format, that sounds like a good idea.

>      or - Accept geometry within a constrained area to prevent chaos at the endpoints which have been cleaned up with multiple 1-way "_link" type connections / or short angle extensions, or which connect with an >interstate ramp.
>
>In manually editing ramps, I consistently make the last node before the motorway junction at the gore point (and then angle the ramp towards the motorway by 30-60 degrees). This sometimes results in >moving the junction significantly, but generally results in less complicated/conflicting geometries.

   I believe that ramps will require manual fixing, especially when the new version contains dual carriageways replacing a single way.

>  4.)  Highlight name changes.   Review, 'accept', and the name change will be applied to the existing way.
>        Complications - roads with multiple names?    Ability to choose "name_1, _2, or _3"?
>
>I believe these tags are discouraged (by the wiki) in favor of alt_name, official_name, etc. Motorway names, in particular, were a mess. When I edit them, I refer to CA law and CalTrans (Cal DOT). In the >absence of evidence to the contrary, these edited names should remain as they are.

  The old TIGER (and possibly new TIGER?) often had the "real name" - the one on the sign - alternating among multiple name_* on adjoining blocks.   I agree that name_1, _2, and _3 are throwaway and will not be useful in the OSM schema, but it is also hard to know what is real alt_name, old_name, official_name unless you live there or work in the highway dept.