[Talk-us] Creating relations for abandoned railway lines

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Jan 10 16:24:27 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Kristian M Zoerhoff
<kristian.zoerhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I've been working on adding some abandoned railway lines in my area, and
> I've been wondering how to group them together. The line I'm working on
> right now (the former Elgin & Belvidere Electric Co. line) has been re-used
> in some areas as public streets, bike paths, service roads, and even a
> railway museum, so I've had to break the line into quite a few ways. I'd
> like to group them back together with a relation, but I'm not sure if
> anyone's done this for an abandoned railway line, or if this is even the
> right thing to do. My plan was to create a new relation like so:
>
> type = route
> route = train
> operator = Elgin & Belvidere Electric Co.
> abandoned = yes
>
> It's that last tag I'm unsure of. Is abandoned = yes allowed/understood in
> relations?

Dear Kristian,

It is most likely that no relation is required to group them together.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Relations_are_not_Categories

Regarding "abandoned" see,

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Railway#Explanation_of_railway.3Dabandoned