[Talk-us] Import accurate streets in Portland, Oregon - Trimet

Mike N niceman at att.net
Thu Jan 13 13:03:13 GMT 2011

> Questions for the talk-us:
> 1) How do you feel about some kind of automatic editing or (selective)
> import? Other methods?

   Hi PJ,

    The actual method of import doesn't matter - only the quality of the
result is important.   Roads and trails should properly connect to
existing data with no duplicates.

> 2) How do I go about doing that? (I heard of something called RoadMatcher)?

   I just did an import for Murray County, OK last week.  I did a remove
/ replace operation because most roads had never been edited, and many
road names had been changed.  Something like RoadMatcher would be much
better because
    Existing OSM attributes, history, and edits would be preserved
without a manual copy operation.
    Easy to copy correct geometry onto existing road.

   I glanced at RoadMatcher, but I am not familiar with the toolset that
goes with it.

    Expect some manual work with any import to properly stitch new or
updated roads onto any existing roads.

    There is some interest in writing an OSM tool for JOSM or another
editor that will streamline all the operations, but the timeline is not
known.

> 3) Any other input?

   Some types of data fit into OSM better than others.  Natural imports
are roads, trails, bike routes, park and golf course boundaries (which
are often difficult or impossible to survey by hand, and existing park
boundaries are easy to spot on the map or detect in the OSM dataset).
Having updated roads, trails, and routes in OSM allow other navigation
tools to work with the data and provide seamless routing to the rest of
the country.   Public transit routes also fit in OSM, but since Trimet
will be using a multi-modal approach, it is best to postpone bringing
this data in last, if at all, unless it can be automated so that it is
always up to date.