[Talk-us] TIGER edited map updated with Toby's suggestion

Tue Jan 25 01:54:55 GMT 2011

At 2011-01-24 16:55, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
>On 25 January 2011 00:57, Alan Mintz <Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > At 2011-01-24 15:37, Toby Murray wrote:

> http://open.mapquestapi.com/tigerviewer/index.html?zoom=12&lat=32.438&lon=-110.75635&layers=B
> >>
> >> I haven't checked every way in the area but it looks like most of
> >> these aren't TIGER roads to begin with. You created them  (version 1)
> >> then balrog-kun renamed expanded all the street name abbreviations
> >> (version 2) so they are in version 2 and last touched by balrog-kun
> >> which is why they are being rendered as red. The TIGER edited map
> >> isn't really intended for these ways since they aren't originally
> >> TIGER data.
> >>
> >> I guess it would be nice to turn ways that weren't imported from TIGER
> >> green, regardless of last editor and version number. But only the
> >> current version of the way is available for inspection while rendering
> >> so this is kind of hard to do...
> >
> > Only objects with tiger:* tags should be candidates for being red. I'd
> > suggest looking for the tiger:county or tiger:name_base tags, since some
> > have removed other tiger:* tags but left ones like tiger:cfcc or
> tiger:zip_*
> > for reference.
> >
> > However, I find another problem. When I split a TIGER-imported way and keep
> > the tiger:* tags on it, I end up with what looks like a TIGER way, but
> > isn't. It has tiger:*=* and v=1 (or v=2 if I edited it again). However, the
> > UID is mine, not balrog-kun or DaveHansenTiger, so filtering for this would
> > solve the problem as well.
> >
> > In summary, I propose to add the following requirements to the existing
> > filter for turning a feature red:
> > - Must have tiger:name_base tag
>
>I'd suggest tiger:reviewed=no which is kind of what the tag was for.

...except that some (many?) people don't know (or don't care) to remove the
tag after they edit/confirm the feature. There are many edited TIGER ways
out there with this tag.

>Also I (balrog-kun) have edited a good amount of data manually, from
>survey or imagery, at the same time there are a portion of roads where
>I changed the name twice, generating v=2 and then v=3 because after
>the first run I found that some more patterns needed manual review
>because it was impossible to automatically Do The Right Thing in more
>situations than expected.  On the TIGER scale they're both small
>groups though.
>
>It's a pity that the full history dump can't be used easily because
>that's often the assumption when processing OSM data and it's often
>recommended on the mailing lists to use changeset tags instead of tags
>on features.  You could for example filter out changesets with bot=yes
>which would skip all of my road name expanding and possibly more stuff
>skewing the results.

How about changing:
         - UID must be balrog_kun or DaveHansenTiger
to:
         - (UID=balrog_kun and changeset in list_of_changesets) or
UID=DaveHansenTiger

where list_of_changesets is the list of changeset IDs that were used for
the name expansion.