[Talk-us] NOAA Composite Shoreline

TC Haddad tchaddad at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 21:07:24 BST 2011

As with everything, proceed with caution. The metadata for that layer states:

"These data were automated to provide a suitable geographic
information system (GIS) data layer depicting the historical shoreline
for the United States. These data are derived from shoreline data that
were produced by the NOAA National Ocean Service including its
predecessor agencies"

Checking it against other shorelines in my area (Oregon coast) shows
that most of the river mouths are depicted in this layer before they
had jetties, and areas of high erosion/accretion are substantially
different. Also in one location (-124.286565  42.042545) it is showing
an ocean pier that absolutely does not exist today. One nice thing is
that it has a field called "SURVEYDATE" that reports that that
particular part of the composite shoreline dates from 01/01/1928....
so I'd pay attention to that field if you're wondering about if the
data is worth the effort for your area...

Tanya