[Talk-us] NOAA Composite Shoreline

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu Jul 14 15:44:12 BST 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Is it better than the NHD shoreline?

Not sure, I plan to compare NHD, NGA PGS, NOAA, and any other sources I can
find. I've asked USGS and Virginia what the best sources are.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone looked at the NOAA Composite Shoreline? It seems to have much
> > better accuracy (as in orders of magnitude better) than the PGS shoreline
> > that was imported, at least for the small portion I checked in Virginia.
>
> How are you determining that?

By inspection against Bing and 2009 aerial imagery. PGS didn't even include
several large creeks, and the positional accuracy was very rough. If you
just look at Virginia's coast, it's quite clear. If I had to guess, PGS (or
rather what's in OSM now) is around 25m accuracy, whereas the NOAA data is
more like 5m. Of course this varies from area to area, and the recency is
also in question, but at least for Virginia's coast anything is better than
PGS.

-Josh