[Talk-us] MassGIS import: "condition" tag

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Jul 16 02:13:46 BST 2011

Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 7/15/2011 8:15 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>  writes:
>>
>>> The MassGIS import included a "condition" tag:
>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/9602415
>>> Presumably this is something in their data, but what use is it to us?
>>> There's no definition of what 'intolerable' means, and no way to know
>>> what value to use if the road is repaved.
>>
>> At first glance, a highway condition classification, apparently from the
>> state department of transportation, is more useful than osm's smoothness
>> tag.
> But there's nothing about when it applied. If I know a road has been
> repaved in the last few years, should I remove the tag or leave it
> inaccurate?

By that logic all tags should have dates.  Perhaps a fair point, but not
where tagging is.

I would say that if you know a road has been repaved, you might set it
to 'good' or whatever the appropriate value is.
This has pointers to the mass spec, I think:

  http://www.mass.gov/mgis/eotroads.htm

Sort of not quite on point:
I usually think that OSM needs to adopt terms/standards of existing
professional communities rather than make up our own.   I am not clear
on road condition standards, but clearly various government road
maintenance bodies must be.