[Talk-us] MassGIS import: "condition" tag

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 03:54:38 BST 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> By that logic all tags should have dates.  Perhaps a fair point, but not
> where tagging is.

On manually mapped data, the tag is known to be accurate as of the day
it was added to the way and can be viewed in the way history. With
imported data this is not the case so right there it becomes less
useful.

> Sort of not quite on point:
> I usually think that OSM needs to adopt terms/standards of existing
> professional communities rather than make up our own.   I am not clear
> on road condition standards, but clearly various government road
> maintenance bodies must be.

I do generally agree with this. The problem is that GIS doesn't seem
to have many such standards that are world-wide. Each
county/state/country/professional community/etc often have different
standards. That's the wonderful thing about standards. So many to
choose from. So when you try to introduce them into OSM you have
people from the other side of the world saying "but HERE it is done
THIS way!" and since OSM doesn't have a central decision making
authority, things either go nowhere or people do their own thing and
we end up with inconsistent tagging.

Toby