[Talk-us] Whole-US Garmin Map update - 09-06-2011

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Jul 20 19:26:04 BST 2011

Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net> writes:

> On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 14:03 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> So I'm curious if you are finding that the tracker is working?
>
> The tracker is looking dead at the moment.
>
> Anybody have suggestions for another tracker?

I suspect that the problem with generally open trackers is that it's too
easy to get wrapped up in a DMCA mess when used in a way that someone
claims infringes copyright.

The basic bittorrent package comes with bittorrent-tracker, which can
run a tracker.  I haven't used it lately, but I remember from the last
time I did that you can set it up to only allow torrents that you
provide to it.  That keeps others from using your tracker, and thus
avoids difficulties due to copyright allegations.

I think you can place the torrents in a dir and in it:

  bittorrent-tracker \
    --dfile dfile \
    --port 6969 \
    --allowed_dir . \