[Talk-us] US highway classification (trunk)

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 20:17:52 BST 2011

On 5/29/2011 3:32 AM, Nathan Mills wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2011 03:00:03 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the best way to handle it would be to render a wider line if
>> oneway=yes and not lanes=1 or if oneway=no/unset and lanes=4 or more.
>> Thus divided highways would not need a lane count to be wider, but
>> undivided roads would need to be tagged as having four lanes.
>
> That seems like it would be a reasonable way to handle it. I'm no mapnik
> expert, but I can see what I can figure out with the installation I have
> locally.

Thank you. To this end, I've been systematically going through trunks in
the US and adding lanes=* tags. This is of course useful even if nothing
is done rendering-wise.

By the way, if anyone wants to do some armchair mapping and needs
suggestions, http://jxapi.openstreetmap.org/xapi/api/0.6/*[FIXME=dual
carriageway] is a good starting point. Just make sure to correctly
modify the lane count, relation roles, and anything else.