[Talk-us] Using OSM for emergency routing?

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 03:08:23 BST 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:

> > emergency vehicles
> > shouldn't be overriding this, usually these bridges really and truly
> > are not usable.
> [...]
>
> Drivers of emergency vehicles need to know the places where they drive
> better than the mapping software.  There's no safe way around this.
> Maybe, when OSM is much more advanced than it already is, data from it
> can be used in an *interactive* mode to *suggest* routes to meet
> strange scenarios (how do I get from A to B when the bridge from A to
> B just collapsed).  But ignoring all access=no tags probably wouldn't
> be a good idea then.

I don't think people want to use this as a "this is your route and you must
follow it". The idea would be that (a) dispatchers and emergency drivers
could use the map and suggested route to give a better estimate on arrival
time to first responders and (b) drivers could use it while driving to be
reminded of existing emergency-only routes.

This would be MUCH better than what happens right now: a call to 911 goes
in, depending on the jurisdiction the dispatcher either uses (a) Google
Maps, (b) the county road data or (c) custom ESRI-based maps to look for the
best unit to request a response. This particular guy (a driver in an
ambulance) whips out his Garmin Nuvi GPS and enters the lat/lon or address
and heads out.

The point is that even if everyone has all the roads in their jurisdiction
memorized (and nowadays with consolidation and huge coverage areas that's
harder to do) and has previously spent the $$$ on E-911 systems and map
upgrades, not everyone is on the same page and if there's something we can
do to help, why not do it?