[Talk-us] shields and overlaps

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sun Jun 5 15:26:25 BST 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 9:46 PM, James Mast <rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Here's some examples you could test:

Great list with links. Thank you, James.  Thanks to everybody for
their suggestions with links.

I'm leaning away from distinguishing "Future" shields; I've already
stripped the "INTERSTATE" from the shields as it doesn't really render
all that well at 20-some pixels. ;-)  On the other hand I left
"CALIFORNIA" in the CA state shields.  I'm capricious.  How would all
of you distinguish shield from future shield?  At low pixel counts?

I'm also leaning away from distinguishing unposted routes.  I don't
think they should be in the database.  If they are unposted, the could
be confusing to a user on the ground when included in an OSM
rendering.  "This says route xyz, I was expecting $other. Did I miss a
turn?"  Also, what is the source for these unposted routes, if they
aren't taken from direct observation of the posted signs?  And how
would mappers keep them up to date?  That's probably an argument for
another thread.  Forget I said anything.  Back to shields.

Business-, etc. bannered shields.  "Me likey."  Some day.  Probably
not in this iteration.