[Talk-us] Unsigned routes (Re: shields and overlaps)

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 23:42:14 BST 2011

A related question is what should be done with routes that are posted
only on small signs not intended for navigation. The best example of
this is Pennsylvania's 'quadrant routes'. Here's an example with SR 2108
to the left (and SR 400 - the unsigned designation for PA 380 to avoid
conflict with SR 380, which is I-380 - to the right):
http://www.m-plex.com/roads/pamplex/treichard/pa8n_pa380w_reass.jpg

And there are systems that are only marked on street signs. For example,
Marion County, Florida gives most rural streets county road numbers
rather than names, so a street sign will say "CR 187". In a few cases,
FDOT has marked these with normal county route pentagons, but most are
one-lane residential streets with only street signs.

Similarly, many counties and townships in the Midwest have a numbered
grid of roads marked on street signs. Several mappers (at least one of
whom is non-local FKnumbers) have decided to use ref=* for these, but I
doubt this is appropriate:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.6671&lon=-84.3186&zoom=13&layers=M
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.9908&lon=-87.3767&zoom=14&layers=M