[Talk-us] Using OSM for emergency routing?

Lord-Castillo, Brett BLord-Castillo at stlouisco.com
Tue Jun 7 14:54:05 BST 2011

We have other adaptations too. For example, we are one of the few departments that does a dispatch by beat instead of a dispatch by nearest vehicle. This way, officers have specific beats that they will be responding too; and we make a detailed street map of each beat available in car on their mobile data terminals.
We dispatch somewhere around 30 agencies in addition to our own, so we have a very large amount of dispatchers on hand at any given time. We do not dispatch fire, which makes dispatcher duties less complex.
We also have standardized routing books that we publish every year and a dispatching system that lets us put in live alerting for specific hazards.
Interestingly enough, most dispatchers rarely, if ever, look at a map during their shift. They instead explore the alerts and other information via a command line interface only.

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017