[Talk-us] shields and overlaps

Lord-Castillo, Brett BLord-Castillo at stlouisco.com
Wed Jun 8 19:29:34 BST 2011

On 6/7/2011 4:45 PM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On 6/7/2011 9:30 AM, Lord-Castillo, Brett wrote:
> > I-64, I-70, I-55, I-44, US-40
> > AKA, the Poplar St Bridge in St Louis, MO.
> > It is the only quad Interstate route in existence. I-70 will reroute in 2015 and it will go down to a tri > > route.
> >
> > It also carries the designation Historic Route 66 and has the Historic 66 shield on it as well.
> >
> > (Even weirder, I-44 ends at the Illinois state bridge halfway across the bridge, so the west half of the > > bridge is I-64/70/55/44 US-40 while the east half is only I-64/70/55 US-40
> > Unfortunately, I-44 is missing from this part of St Louis, so it is not on the way right now.
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/32333977

> I-44, at least according to signage in 2008, ends at I-55.
> http://www.interstate-guide.com/images044/i-044_et_04a.jpg

Yeah, that was before the I-64 project which involved realigning I-44 temporarily. At that point, the east bound ended at I-55, but the westbound started on the Poplar St Bridge.
Today, the Eastbound goes all the way to the Poplar St Bridge as well, but the signs are not changed yet.

This shot shows the road as all 4 interstates and US-40 at once.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.617642,-90.181049&spn=0.00824,0.013078&z=17&layer=c&cbll=38.617746,-90.181461&panoid=etjY4kn9oqoecsdYSjoXqw&cbp=12,285.92,,0,5.98
(This shot is actually from during the realignment, as shown by the I-64 detour sign.)
As soon as you hit the end of the bridge, the 4 Interstates start splitting up.

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017