[Talk-us] Relation roles

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Jun 29 22:03:30 BST 2011

Toby Murray wrote:
> I mentioned something about cardinal direction relation roles on
> IRC last night and I think it was RichardF thought they were
> silly because he had no concept of a "north/south" vs "east/west"
> highway.

Probably not me, but you're right, and it's not a question we have to worry
about in the UK anyway - we don't need highway route relations because any
road only has one number.

FWIW, and you should absolutely not listen to me because I'm a long way away
and it's up to you guys to sort yourselves out... but I'd create a separate
relation for each direction (i.e. one northbound relation, one southbound
relation) and not bother with roles at all. It's simpler conceptually,
simpler for the newbie to edit, simpler to process. (If you wanted to, you
could then have a super-relation for the two relations, though personally I
wouldn't see the need.)

cheers
Richard