[Talk-us] Relation roles

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 22:36:47 BST 2011

On 6/29/2011 4:50 PM, Richard Weait wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I've started using forward/backward roles rather than north/south/east/west
>> on relations for state highways, due to JOSM's relation editor supporting
>> sorting by them and Nakor's tool
>
> Nakor's tool for ... ?  Link?

Formerly at http://toolserver.org/~nakor/relation.fcgi?relation= , and
used to update
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Nakor/Interstate_relations_check
and http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Nakor/US_relations_check .

>> How much uproar would there be if I started changing to forward/backward
>> roles in conjunction with checking for completeness? Is there any benefit to
>> the slightly increased amount of information provided by the directional
>> roles? Are there any other solutions? It appears from
>> http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/5109 that the JOSM devs are not
>> interested in supporting directional roles.
>
> I'd expect that we need a much stronger argument in favour of removing
> the additional information provided by the directional roles.  It is
> dead simple to reverse the direction of a way and break your proposed
> forward-role, while directional roles would be fine.

JOSM automatically changes forward to reverse if you reverse a way, and
if Potlatch doesn't it would be simple to have it do so.