[Talk-us] [Imports] TriMet will begin OSM improvements in the Portland area

PJ Houser stephanie.jean.houser at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 00:38:31 GMT 2011

Hi Tom,

First, let me say that ESRI has been great regarding the OSM Editor. I
contacted them with our problems, they responded within minutes, and now
we're working together on determining if our problems are operator-based or
editor-based.

We encountered 5 main problems:

1) Revision table does not explicitly store all changes, especially node
modifications.
-using the topology edit tool (with all of the OSM layers taking place in
the topology)
-selecting a point (node), moving that item, only indirectly moving the
edge. The node would move (and move its connected ways along) whether it was
attached to only one way or to multiple ways.
-This error occurred in several different locations that we tested.
FIX:
-Don't bring revision table into ArcMap.
-Not all changes explicitly stored in excel table. Would be good to conduct
some testing on this.
-make sure edits pass the core topology tests
-Maybe a simple table refresh issue? ESRI has noticed occasionally that no
“edits” appear in the revision table while it is open and docked in the
application. Once you close the table and reopen it again the dialog usually
shows all the rows."
DOCUMENTATION:
should indicate what types of edits should and should not show up in
revision table

2) schema lock on revision table
-occurs after at least one successful upload
-occurs while trying to save edits
FIX:
-Avoid issue by keeping revision table out of table of contents to avoid
lock.
-Don't open table in ArcMap.
-If it does lock, try compact database. This removes schema locks, returning
.gdb to "pristine" state.
-Switch off background geoprocessing. ESRI still got the locking message
after a couple of successful data uploads.
DOCUMENTATION:
should warn of potential for schema lock and potential remedies

3) Performance speed of geoprocessing in ArcMap
Select by location excruciatingly slow with OSM derived dataset in table of
contents
FIX:
ESRI is unable to replicate. Still needs to be explored.

4) Performance speed of downloading data - RESOLVED.
FIX:
Download speed is intentionally optimized for older machines. Testing never
went beyond 150MB/s
DOCUMENTATION:
Should include expected minutes/MB for download.

5) Moving ways creates new nodes without deleting old ones. - RESOLVED
FIX:
Actually an OSM anomaly resulting from peculiarities of one-layer data
model. When editing in ArcMap (if we ever decide to do this), good to know
when it's more efficient to move existing nodes vs creating new ones by
moving way and deleting existing nodes.
DOCUMENTATION:
should mention that line edits won't follow expectations for vector data
model (points lines polygons)

By the way, our machines run Windows XP and have Intel Core 2 Quad CPU and 4
GB of RAM. We use ArcMap 10 with SP 1 installed, ArcView license.

Tom, as for your issue, did you give OSM time to update their tiles? For
some of our edits, we had to wait at least 10 minutes for them to show up at
openstreetmap.org, and even then, some of the tiles hadn't been updated.
Otherwise, it sounds like you might be having a similar problem to us. After
you upload, check the revision table. See if anything is written in it. As
far as I was able to understand, the revision table should have something in
it if your changes registered.

I am going to forward this email to our ESRI contact, by the way.

--
PJ Houser
Trimet