[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Bike / Pedestrian directions on the MQ Open sites

john at jfeldredge.com john at jfeldredge.com
Mon Mar 7 01:51:25 GMT 2011

I live in the Southeast USA, and have never seen an Interstate on-ramp that lacked signs forbidding all non-motorized traffic, as well as "motor-driven cycles" (the official term for mopeds).  Some non-Interstate limited-access freeways allow bicycles, some don't.

As far as I know, the only US Interstates that allow bicycles are in the Western United States.

"Motorway" is not a standard term in US English, except as people have borrowed the term from British usage.  I gather that it is a legal term-of-art in the UK.  I don't know any details about its use in Canada.