[Talk-us] Turnouts (US-style passing places)

Alan Mintz Alan_Mintz+OSM at Earthlink.Net
Fri Mar 11 14:29:20 GMT 2011

On long or inclined two-lane roads (e.g. in the mountains), there are 
"turnouts" at regular intervals on each side of road for slower traffic to 
pull off to allow faster traffic to pass them. These are different than 
wide spots on a dirt road that are usable by traffic in either direction, 
which appears to be what the wiki calls a "passing place". Turnouts are 
clearly for use by only the direction for which they are marked.

My problem is not with the terminology itself, but with losing the 
information about which direction the turnout is for. How about:

turnout=forward [turnout used by traffic in the forward direction of the way]
turnout=backward [turnout used by traffic opposing the direction of the way]




Alan Mintz <Alan_Mintz+OSM at Earthlink.net>

More information about the Talk-us mailing list