[Talk-us] Turnouts (US-style passing places)

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Mar 12 20:04:37 GMT 2011

On 03/11/2011 08:50 AM, Richard Weait wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Alan Mintz
> <Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> On long or inclined two-lane roads (e.g. in the mountains), there are
>> "turnouts" at regular intervals on each side of road for slower traffic to
>> pull off to allow faster traffic to pass them. These are different than wide
>> spots on a dirt road that are usable by traffic in either direction, which
>> appears to be what the wiki calls a "passing place". Turnouts are clearly
>> for use by only the direction for which they are marked.
>>
>> My problem is not with the terminology itself, but with losing the
>> information about which direction the turnout is for. How about:
>>
>> turnout=forward [turnout used by traffic in the forward direction of the
>> way]
>> turnout=backward [turnout used by traffic opposing the direction of the way]
>>
>> or
>>
>> turnout:forward=yes
>> turnout:backward=yes
>
> Aren't these simply additional driving lanes?  Why not add lanes= tags
> where appropriate?

These differ from driving lanes in that they're generally treated as an
extra hard shoulder and are generally in the appearance and
functionality of an extended bus turnout, sans the street furniture
typically associated with a bus stop.  There's also a legal obligation
for slower vehicles to enter these turnouts and slow or stop while
faster traffic they were impeding passes.