[Talk-us] Proposed cleanup: NHD "rivers"

Mike N niceman at att.net
Mon Mar 21 00:30:02 GMT 2011

On 3/20/2011 8:18 PM, Ian Dees wrote:
> There were several clients that did not attempt to connect the ways of
> each NHD linestring so there are duplicated nodes and ways that touch
> but aren't joined. Hopefully fixing this is what Paul was talking about.

   Agreed - this is a safe case of duplicate node removal: when all
items touching duplicate nodes are of type hydro - river, stream, lake,
reservoir, etc (I forget the exact tag names).

    Just combining segments within the same reach code will frequently
produce ways containing  > 500 nodes, which makes editing more
complicated, and does not make any improvement to the usability of the
map data.